1.28.2008

Epiphany

(a real one, not the video art project that has been slowly bleeding my life away, making me long for Lent like I'm supposed to long for Easter)

Reading my daily RSS feed, I had a minor epiphany ("Hunh. I need to find more rhetoric blogs to read regularly.") which led to an ACTION STEP:

I should put that on my to-do list.

Which led to the epiphany referenced in the title of this blogpost...

because as soon as my conscious mind made a mental note to make a physical note of this task(eg. put it on the to-do list),

my subconscious mind revolted ( well, I think that's what happened...since it's "sub"conscious, I'm technically not allowed to know what it's doing, but I *know* I felt a wave of revulsion and refusal rocket through my body)

(which is, btw, a strange feeling to have while walking to the kitchen to get another cup of coffee on otherwise average monday morning).

So here's what I realized:

While I've gotten really great at putting EVERYTHING on my to-do list.

(Seriously, the list is frickin endless.)

I just realized that there's no better way to guarantee that I *won't* get to something (or maybe won't even WANT to do something?) -- once I put it on the neverending-list.

I don't know if it's the TRUTH of seeing every little possible action in the context of all the weight of all the other neccessary actions?

Or if it's the LIE of industrialization and Fordism joined with those damned four quadrants of "Highly Effective" Steven-Covey-Devotees?

To to-do list or not to to-do list. That is our age's not-very-poetic, but unfortunately apt question.

1 comment:

david rudd said...

Nothing should get to your to-do list until it has already been in your in-box and processed accordingly.

-GTD from David Allen
(superior to Stephen Covey, and not Mormon)