1.22.2009

The Upside of Failure

In a book I recently read, the author spent a great deal of time talking about how health, how productive, failure is for humanity and human endeavor. The way he made his point was unassailable. But I couldn't help but think of this productive, constructive failure in terms of the individuals who landed in this broad sociological debit column.

And when I watched It's A Wonderful Lifelast week (again) for my American Dream in Film class -- I was astonished how much, as I got older, I empathize with Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey. All his disappointment and unrealized dreams. By the end I wept more vigorously than I have in a year. (Not that I cry *that* often. It's just been that kind of couple-of-years.)

Later as I was watching a series of "How To" youtube videos -- I found myself wondering what kind of DIY "how to" video I might make. How to have a midlife crisis with panache? How to outlive your midlife crisis? So I thought I'd google it before I started scripting or pre-production and ended up arriving (!) magificently (!) at a site where a 38 year old yuppie was sitting in his living room by his fireplace explaining how he was surviving his midlife crisis and how, if we would email him, he would act as a lifecoach to nurse us through our own. Well you can only imagine how excited that prospect made me.

When I was a kid my parents and grandparents constantly enrolled me in fundamentalist Christian correspondence courses. I LOVED them. Nothing better than getting a graded worksheet back in the mail from a mysterious but authoritative stranger.

So I'm thinking of either enrolling in a correspondence midlife crisis lifecoach program or starting one of my own from scratch. Tomorrow I start my market analysis. Wish me luck.